Generally speaking, you might be eligible for naturalization under Section 319(a) for the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if your
- Were a permanent resident (Green Card owner) for at the least 36 months
- Have already been staying in marital union utilizing the U.S. that is same citizen during such time
- Meet all other eligibility needs under this part
In a few situations, partners of U.S. residents used abroad may be eligible for a naturalization aside from their time as permanent residents. These partners may qualify under part 319(b) of this INA.
For information associated with spouses of armed forces people, see our people of the Military and their own families web web web page. Additionally for information regarding learning to be a permanent resident or petitioning for members of the family, please go to our Green Card or Family websites.
General Eligibility Needs
To qualify for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) associated with INA, an applicant must:
- Be 18 or older
- Be described as a permanent resident (Green Card owner) for at the least 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Have now been surviving in marital union utilizing the U.S. resident partner, that has been a U.S. resident during most of such duration, throughout the 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing the applying or over until assessment in the application
- Have lived inside the state, or USCIS region with jurisdiction throughout the applicant’s destination of residence, for at the least three months ahead of the date of filing the application form
- Have actually constant residence in the usa as a lawful resident that is permanent at minimum three years straight away preceding the date of filing the application form
- Live constantly inside the usa from the date of application for naturalization before the period of naturalization
- Be physically contained in the usa for at the least eighteen months from the three years straight away preceding the date of filing the application form
- Manage to read, compose, and talk English while having knowledge and a knowledge of U.S. government and history(also referred to as civics)
- Be someone of good ethical character, connected to the axioms associated with the Constitution associated with the united states of america, and well disposed to your good purchase and pleasure regarding the united states of america during all appropriate durations underneath the legislation
Partners of U.S. Citizens Employed Abroad
Generally speaking, the partner of the U.S. citizen that is used by the U.S. federal federal government, such as the army, or any other qualifying boss, whose partner is planned become stationed abroad such work for at the very least one year during the time of filing, can be qualified to receive naturalization under section b that is 319( of this INA.
As a whole, a partner of a U.S. citizen employed abroad must certanly be contained in the usa pursuant to an admission that is lawful permanent residence during the time of assessment in the naturalization application and also at enough time of naturalization, and meet of all the needs in the above list except that:
- No certain duration as a permanent resident (Green Card owner) is needed (however the partner must certanly be a permanent resident)
- No particular amount of constant residence or presence that is physical the usa is necessary
- No certain amount of marital union is needed; however, the partners should be in a legitimate wedding at enough time of filing before the period of naturalization.
Note: you need to additionally establish you intend to reside in the United States immediately upon latin brides the termination of your spouse’s employment abroad that you will depart abroad immediately after naturalization and.